Steel Hauling and Flatbed Transport
Ace Doran provides flatbed trucking for flat-rolled steel products, carbon steel coils, steel sheets, blanks, plates, pipes and beams for manufacturers and customers throughout the supply chain. Our expertise at hauling metal commodities extends to copper wire spools, aluminum and conduit as well as the industrial machinery used in their production.
Securing Your Steel Loads Safely
The transport of steel coils is a specialized and regulated type of steel hauling. Coil racks are used when hauling coils of steel on a flatbed or similar platform trailers. Coils can range from 5,000 lbs, relatively small in size, to over 60,000 lbs. The federal government and many states have passed laws governing the hauling of steel coils by trucks.
The securement of steel coil loads consists of a combination of 2 types of tiedowns that are used to restrain cargo, direct tiedowns and indirect tiedowns.
- Indirect tiedowns creates a downward force that increases the friction between the cargo and the deck. This increased friction restrains the cargo.
- Direct tiedowns provide direct resistance to oppose the forces that are acting on the cargo. This direct resistance keeps the cargo in place, and prevents movement.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has mandated various safety precautions that must be undertaken when transporting steel coils for the safety of the motoring public. Coils must be handled carefully due to their sensitivity to mechanical damage. Our experts prevent damage by using suitable handling and slinging equipment (e.g. C hooks, coil lifters, vertical coil lifters, coil mandrels, webbing slings and chain slings).
That’s why at Ace Doran, we retain owner operators that are steel coil certified and aware of all regulations for the transport of steel freight loads that vary from state to state.
Benefits of Using Ace Doran to Haul Your Steel Load
- proven experts in handling steel materials, coil and other metal commodities
- sidekit/conestoga trailers and tarping options available to protect your shipment from weather
- local, regional, or long-haul capacity
- heavy haul capabilities for over-dimensional or over-weight freight
- safe and reliable professional owner operators with extensive steel hauling experience